9.8 C
New York

Myanmar, Thailand rescuers race to find more survivors days after deadly earthquake

Published:

Rescuers freed four people from collapsed buildings in Myanmar on Monday, Chinese media reported, offering some hope three days after a massive earthquake killed around 2,000 as searchers raced to find more survivors in Myanmar and Thailand.

Among those rescued from the rubble in Myanmar’s second-largest city, Mandalay, in the early hours of Monday were a pregnant woman and a girl, the Xinhua news agency reported.

Mandalay is near the epicentre of the 7.7-magnitude earthquake on Friday that wreaked mass devastation in Myanmar and caused damage and deaths in neighbouring Thailand.

WATCH | Rescue crews search rubble for survivors:

Earthquake in Myanmar, Thailand kills thousands

11 hours ago

Duration 2:55

Rescue crews in Myanmar and Thailand are scrambling to find survivors under the rubble in the wake of a massive earthquake that killed more than 1,600 people and left countless others buried. Efforts in Myanmar are further challenged by a lack of medical supplies, damaged roads and an ongoing civil war. “

China, India and Thailand are among Myanmar’s neighbours that have sent relief materials and teams, along with aid and personnel from Malaysia, Singapore and Russia.

“It doesn’t matter how long we work. The most important thing is that we can bring hope to the local people,” said Yue Xin, head of the first detachment of the China Search and Rescue Team, Xinhua reported.

In Bangkok, Thailand’s capital, emergency crews using cranes and dog sniffers on Monday continued a desperate search for 75 people believed buried under the rubble of an under-construction skyscraper that collapsed.

Workers spray water on the rubble of a collapsed building.
Rescuers spray water to reduce dust in Bangkok, Thailand, on Saturday while searching for victims at the site of a high-rise building under construction that collapsed after Friday’s earthquake. (Sakchai Lalit/The Associated Press)

Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt said rescuers are not giving up despite the conventional-wisdom three-day window for finding people alive fast approaching.

“The search will continue even after 72 hours because in Turkey, people who have been trapped for a week have survived. The search has not been cancelled,” Chadchart said.

He said machine scans of the rubble indicated there may still be people alive underneath, and dog sniffers are being dispatched to try to pinpoint their locations.

“We’ve detected weak life signs and there are many spots,” he said.

Another body was removed from the site on Monday, volunteer rescuer group Fire and Rescue Thailand said on social media, bringing Thailand’s death toll from last week’s powerful earthquake to 19. 

The death toll could still shoot up without more rescues at the site.

WATCH | Canadian earthquake survivor shares harrowing account of Thailand earthquake: 

In Myanmar, state media said at least 1,700 people have been confirmed dead as of Sunday. The Wall Street Journal, citing the ruling military junta, reported the death toll had reached 2,028 in Myanmar. Reuters could not immediately confirm the new death toll. Media access has been restricted in the country since the junta took power in 2021.

The military government has declared a week-long mourning period from Monday. 

The United Nations said it was rushing relief supplies to survivors in central Myanmar.

“Our teams in Mandalay are joining efforts to scale up the humanitarian response despite going through the trauma themselves,” said Noriko Takagi, the U.N. refugee agency’s representative in Myanmar. “Time is of the essence as Myanmar needs global solidarity and support through this immense devastation.”

The United States pledged $2 million in aid “through Myanmar-based humanitarian assistance organizations.” It said in a statement that an emergency response team from USAID, which is undergoing massive cuts under the Trump administration, is deploying to Myanmar.

Members of an earthquake rescue team wear masks and helmets.
Chinese rescue team members (in blue) search for victims trapped in the rubble of a damaged temple in Mandalay on Saturday, two days after an earthquake struck central Myanmar. (Sai Aung Main/AFP/Getty Images)

The quake devastation has piled more misery on Myanmar, already in chaos from a civil war that grew out of a nationwide uprising after a 2021 military coup ousted the elected government of Nobel Peace Prize laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.

One rebel group said Myanmar’s ruling military was still conducting airstrikes on villages in the aftermath of the quake, and Singapore’s foreign minister called for an immediate ceasefire to help relief efforts.

Critical infrastructure — including bridges, highways, airports and railways — across the country of 55 million lie damaged, slowing humanitarian efforts while the conflict that has battered the economy, displaced over 3.5 million people and debilitated the health system rages on.

Source

Related articles

spot_img

Recent articles

spot_img